Heaton Stannington vs Thackley



Date Time Competition Season Attendance Round
Sat 26 August 2023 3:00 pm FA Vase 2023-24 373 1st Qualifying


Grounsell Park
Newcastle upon Tyne, North of Tyne, England, NE7 7HP, United Kingdom


Heaton Stannington3


After last Friday’s fantastic FA Cup win at Hebburn, the Stan started on the 2nd road to Wembley when they hosted Thackley, of the Northern Counties East Premier Division, in the FA Vase. After a relatively even 1st half, & a penalty miss scare, the Stan showed they meant business with 3 goals in the last 25 minutes. There was 1 change with Mark Turnbull replacing Sayer.

Both teams started by showing they meant business when, after 5 minutes, Thackley shot wide then 2 minutes later a joined-up Stan effort involving 4 players ended with Lashley volleying into the side netting. In 8 minutes, there was a great cross on halfway from Lashley to the advancing Lamb but the Thackley keeper, Wilson, got to the ball 1st. 

Both teams were trying to attack but there were relatively few clear threats. In 15 minutes, Lamb rounded Wilson & passed to Lashley who was blocked with Reid then trying to back-heel the ball into the net but Wilson got back to stop it. The pressure was mainly from the Stan now with the Stan shooting over the bar from a corner in 18 minutes & 3 minutes later Burn shot wide in a crowded box. In 25 minutes, Wilson caught Lamb’s shot & 2 minutes later a Thackley attack resulted in a corner that was cleared by Slaughter. 

There was some sustained pressure from Thackley in 32 minutes when Brass made a great save. The ball from the resulting corner was headed clear by Slaughter for another corner. Slaughter also cleared this one, followed by Turnbull heading clear before Thackley shot wide. Brass had to deal with another 3 saves before it was back to the Stan having an opportunity to score in 41 minutes. Kane broke into the visitor’s box & the ball from his blocked cross went out to Lamb whose shot & rebound shot were blocked by Wilson. In added time, Stan had an attack blocked followed by Reid heading clear at the other end.

After the 1st half stalemate, & with the match having to be decided on the day, both teams had everything to play for in the 2nd half. In 48 minutes, a Stephenson free kick went just over followed by a Reid header, from a Kane cross, being saved by Wilson. Burn then shot over. Thackley then went up & won a corner from which Burn cleared on the line & Brass had to get down to stop the rebound shot. Thackley had 2 more corners before they shot well over from outside the box. Lashley was involved in 3 Stan attacks which led to nothing. 

In 57 minutes though, Lamb had a shot which was deflected off a Thackley player in the visitor’s box & a penalty was awarded for handball. Lashley took the penalty, but he put the ball just wide of the right post. Thackley seized on the Stan’s missed opportunity & attacked at the other end although they eventually shot over from a free kick.

In 63 minutes, Kane supplied Lashley but his shot was blocked by Wilson. Soon after, a mistake saw the ball go to Lamb but his shot was also blocked by Wilson. The Stan were now putting increasing pressure on Thackley & fresh legs were added up front in 66 minutes when Hopper replaced Lashley. A minute later & the Stan were ahead when a speculative Reid long range effort bounced in front of Wilson & into the net. 

2 minutes later & Reid tried another similar shot but slipped & his effort went wide. It was all Stan pressure now & there was a great opportunity in 71 minutes. Lamb advanced into the penalty box & to the right of the goal & put the ball back to Hopper who miss hit it. 

In 72 minutes though it was 2-0 through a great goal, when a Kane cross into the box from the right saw Reid get up to head it into the net. Lamb had a great opportunity in 74 minutes but sliced his effort over the bar. Almost all the action was now in the visitor’s half as the Stan looked for another goal. 

In 82 minutes, Hopper got by Wilson, but his effort was cleared off the line by a defender. The 3rd goal eventually came in 88 minutes when Hopper won the ball from between 2 defenders & advanced & chipped the ball past Wilson. In 91 minutes, Hopper advanced & was brought down resulting in the only booking of a civilised & well played match by both teams.

The 3 second half goals provided the Stan with a deserved victory & they now host another Yorkshire team, Ilkley Town, in the 2nd Qualifying round. Firstly though it is back to FA Cup action when the Stan travel to Tadcaster Albion on Saturday. So it could still be twin visits to the twin towers!

Kevin Mochrie

Heaton Stannington

1Lewis Brass Goalkeeper
2Kane Evans Defender
3Daniel Stephenson Midfielder
4Mark Turnbull Defender
5Craig Scott Defender
6Joe Shepherd Defender
7Andrew Burn 14 Midfielder
8Richard Slaughter Midfielder
9Konner Lamb 17 Forward
10Sean Reid Midfielder
11Jordan Lashley 15 Midfielder
12Nicholas Cassidy Midfielder
13Thomas Flynn Goalkeeper
14Josh Walker 7 Midfielder
15Leighton Hopper 11 Forward
16Liam Doyle Defender
17Louis Anderson 9 Forward
18Jay Hornsby Defender


Lewis Hardy