Heaton Stannington vs Shildon



Date Time Competition Season Attendance
Wed 17 April 2024 7:30 pm Northern League Division One 2023-24 356


Grounsell Park
Newcastle upon Tyne, North of Tyne, England, NE7 7HP, United Kingdom


Heaton Stannington2


Playing their 3rd game in 5 days, the Stan hosted league leaders Shildon for the 1st time since in 72 years. It was a hard fought, attacking & competitive match. After an even 1st half, 2 early Stan goals rattled Shildon but by full time the visitors were back in contention & threatening an equaliser, but the hard-working Stan held on for a deserved & important win. There were 3 changes from the draw at Whickham 2 nights earlier, with Palmer, Slaughter & Lashley replacing Scott, Stephenson & Sayer.

On a dry but cold Wednesday evening, both teams started by trying to attack. The Stan were disadvantaged early on as they were shooting into a low but bright sun until it set behind the houses at the Holy & Far Corners end. In 4 minutes, a Shildon free kick into the Stan box was headed clear by Turnbull. Reid & Hopper then advanced but Reid was offside. Soon after, there was a great joined up effort involving Hornsby, Hopper, Palmer & Reid & which ended with Lashley’s shot hitting the side netting. A Shildon attacker then fell in the Stan box followed by a Stan attack which ended with Hopper trying to supply Burn who could not get to the ball. Both teams were trying to attack but were cancelling each other out. In 22 minutes, Hopper forced a corner from which the Shildon keeper caught the ball from Reid’s header. Hopper especially was keeping the pressure on the visiting defence as he worked his socks off. In 28 minutes, a speculative Lashley shot from just outside the box went just wide. 2 minutes later & a ball from a Shildon corner went just wide. In 32 minutes, Hopper rounded 2 defenders but was then blocked as he entered the Shildon box. As both teams continued their positive approach, in 40 minutes the diving Brass had to punch clear an effort from a Shildon free kick which went round the wall. 3 minutes later & an injured Palmer had to be replaced by Sayer. The Stan then then had 3 corners, but the half ended in stalemate.

There was excitement early in the 2nd half as the Stan got 2 quick goals. In 48 minutes, a Lashley free kick from the right was sent into a busy box & hit the bar before being headed into the net by Shepherd. 2 minutes later & a long ball to Hopper resulted in him breaking forward & he advanced towards the Shildon goal comfortably slotting the ball past their keeper for 2-0. What a start to the 2nd half. The goals were followed by more Stan pressure as a free kick was cleared & another Stan shot went wide. With 30 minutes still to go, Shildon pulled a goal back when, from a free kick, the ball was headed into the Stan net in a crowded box by Greulich-Smith for his 200th competitive goal for Shildon. Soon after, Burn headed clear. Turnbull then supplied Hopper who advanced to the edge of the Shildon box, but the keeper made himself big & managed to get a hand to Hopper’s shot. Both teams were trying to attack when they could, but the Stan defence especially were having to work hard to stop Shildon advances. Shildon shot wide in 71 minutes followed by a great block by Evans. In 74 minutes, Hopper & Reid joined up to supply Sayer who shot just wide. There was then another great defensive tackle by Evans who thoroughly deserved his man of the match award. In 76 minutes, a Shildon free kick was headed clear by Reid with the long range rebound shot hitting the underside of the Stan bar before Brass caught the ball to the relive of the Stan Army. There was more Shildon pressure resulting in 2 more clearances by Evans. In 80 minutes, a Hopper run into the Shildon box ended in a corner which was then cleared. Then it was back to pressure from Shildon with Evans blocking & then heading clear from a corner followed by Brass punching clear. There were 2 more Shildon corners with the 2nd in 85 minutes being headed clear by Turnbull. Evans then cleared again followed by Brass punching clear a long-range effort. The Shildon pressure continued with Evans clearing in 87 minutes before a Shildon player headed well wide of the Stan goal. Into 4 minutes of added time & a high ball was sent towards the advancing Hooper but the Shildon keeper got to it 1st. Hopper attacked again but was blocked. Both teams were still positive, but the match ended with the Stan winning 2-1 & Shildon dropping down to 2nd place behind Bishop Auckland who won.

Unlike on Monday night at Whickham, the Stan resisted the late pressure & did not concede an equaliser. They were encouraged by the support of the vocal Stan Army especially through the Junior Ultra section who sang throughout the match. This was a crucial 3 points, & against top opposition, in the race for a play off spot & also for hopefully securing home advantage. The Stan jump from 5th to 4th & are now only 1 point behind 3rd place West Auckland with 3 games to play compared to their 1. Next up on Saturday, the Stan & 2 coaches of supporters travel to 6th place, & fellow play-off contenders, Guisborough.

Kevin Mochrie

Photo Gallery

Heaton Stannington

1Lewis Brass Goalkeeper
2Kane Evans Defender
3Jay Hornsby Defender
4David Palmer 14 Midfielder
5Mark Turnbull Defender
6Joe Shepherd Defender
7Andrew Burn Midfielder
8Richard Slaughter Midfielder
9Leighton Hopper Forward
10Sean Reid Midfielder
11Jordan Lashley 17 Midfielder
12Adam Lennox Forward
14Daniel Sayer 4 Midfielder
15Konner Lamb Forward
16Alfie Marriott Defender
17Craig Scott 11 Defender


Elliot Cowens