Seaham Red Star vs Heaton Stannington



Date Time Competition Season Attendance
Tue 9 August 2022 7:30 pm Northern League Division One 2022-23 204


Seaham Town Park
Seaham, County Durham, North East, England, SR7 0EW United Kingdom


Seaham Red Star0
Heaton Stannington0


On a sunny & mild summer’s evening the Stan made their first journey of their new Northern League Division 1 adventure. Although it was not a fairy tale ending, a clean sheet, 11 men on the pitch & and an away point was a satisfactory ending & a good base to build on. There was one change from Saturday’s cup win with Burn replacing Cowburn.

The match was played on a great pitch although it was a relatively quiet & even start. In 4 minutes the ball was sent to Hopper who advanced into the box & was brought down but the outcome was only a corner. From Cassidy’s corner, Anderson’s header was cleared off the line. Red Star countered but Evans intercepted. The Stan attacked again but the keeper got to the ball before Hopper. The Stan had 2 more attacks & the home side didn’t get the ball into the Stan box until 11 minutes but Flynn easily caught. 2 minutes later & Seaham had a corner which Bailey headed clear. Soon after Seaham shot wide.

Both teams were trying to attack although it was Seaham who now had a few efforts as the Stan went a bit quieter. In 27 minutes, Bailey sent the ball across the home goal but there was no one there to meet it. Burn sent the ball back in but the keeper punched the ball clear then also cleared the rebound shot. 5 minutes later it was Seaham’s turn to get a good attack & the Stan were lucky not to concede a goal. A shot into a crowded Stan box was blocked by Flynn then 2 rebound shots from close range were blocked.

A Stan corner in 34 minutes saw them put pressure on but Cassidy’s header was cleared. Seaham then had 3 attacks including one from which Flynn caught the ball. There was action in both halves as both teams continued to try to attack. The Stan were mainly channelling their efforts through Hopper who was being dealt with by the home defence & the half ended with a Seaham long range effort going well over.

Both teams started the 2nd half knowing that they could win the match although it was Seaham who put on early pressure with Flynn & his defence having to clear 4 times in the 1st 5 minutes. There was then a quiet period before Seaham shot wide in 54 minutes. Seaham then had a number of attacks again.

The Stan were still waiting for their 1st shot of the half as the home defence dealt with any of their advances. Ward replaced the tiring Hopper in 64 & immediately began to worry the home defence. In 71 minutes, from a Shepherd tackle, Seaham had a 30 yard free kick headed clear. A minute later as the Stan started a counter attack, Evans was brought down resulting in the Seaham no 6 being sent off.

Both teams were trying to put pressure on & in 80 minutes Anderson shot across goal then Ward’s shot was blocked. He was then brought down in the box but nothing was given. The Stan were now threatening but also had to watch out for potential Seaham counters. In 81 minutes Burn sent a long range effort well over & 4 minutes later Cowburn did the same. The Stan pressure continued into the final minutes & Anderson headed over the bar. Seaham were working well at the back to frustrate the Stan & also had a couple of late counter attacks. The match ended goalless & both teams should be happy with a point each.

Overall, a positive performance from the Stan although both teams were relatively evenly matched & cancelled each other out. There was also not enough time for the Stan to take advantage of the extra man. The Stan now welcome Whickham on Friday night.

Kevin Mochrie


Patrick Laws