9 September 2020, 7:30 pm
Ryton & Crawcrook Albion
1 - 1
Heaton Stannington
Kingsley Park
Attendance: 185
Heaton Stannington First Team
Referee: Paul Mosley

Match Report

The Stan’s first away competitive match of the season saw them travel to face Ryton & Crawcrook. There was 1 change with Ray replacing Miller and new signing Mathew Nelson from Newbiggin by the Sea was an unused sub.

The Stan, in their new orange away tops, scored in the 1st minute as Paterson beat a defender and crossed to Hoggins who tapped the ball into the net at the far corner. It continued to be all Stan until Ryton shot wide in the 5th minute. A minute later and Campbell was deliberately pulled down just outside the home box and Proctor’s free kick was eventually cleared. The Stan kept the pressure on but in 12 minutes a Ryton player broke free but was offside. 2 minutes later the home side shot wide under pressure and 3 minutes after that they had 2 efforts blocked. After 20 minutes a Stan free kick into the home box but it was then back to increasing pressure from Ryton for most of the rest of the 1st half although the Stan defence was working well and appeared to benefit from the addition of Jordan Ray. After a number ofRyton attacks, Paterson shot just wide through a crowded box in 32 minutes and 4 minutes later he had another shot deflected for a corner. Ryton increased the pressure but the Stan still tried to attack when they could. In 42 minutes, Regan had to parry a Ryton effort and Hall also had to clear a few minutes later. In the last minute of the half Regan cleared and soon after the defence did likewise but the Stan remained in the lead at half time.

Ryton had the 1st shot of the 2nd half but the Stan should have been 2-0 in 48 minutes when a great move from Paterson saw him supply Proctor who was clear but he shot up when it looked easier to put the ball in the net. 2 minutes later and Paterson hit the corner of the bar before the Stan shot just wide again. In 52 minutes a great ball by Paterson forced the keeper to make a full length save. Ryton countered from the resulting corner and Imray stopped the advance but at the expense of a yellow card. Ryton shot wide then over and then after a few quieter minutes, Paterson shot wide in 58 minutes. 2 minutes later and Campbell then Paterson shot over. Regan made a catch and in 64 minutes he had to put the ball over the bar. A minute later and another Ryton attack saw him have to block again. The Stan countered but sub Wright blasted over when he had an open goal. It was end to end now and a Paterson advance in 70 minutes saw him supply Proctor who shot over under pressure. After a Ryton attack, sub Mason was brought down just outside the box and Wright’s free kick went just over. The Stan’s failure to put away clear chances came back to haunt them in 72 minutes when a Ryton player broke free and Regan made a great block then put the rebound shot out for a corner. From it, poor marking saw the low ball not cleared and it was tapped into the net for 1-1. In 75 minutes, Ryton hit the post from a corner. The 2nd corner was partially cleared but as a Ryton player was about to renter the box, Imray brought him down. He received a 2nd yellow and the Stan were down to 10 men. Both teams tried to attack, with Ryton just edging the possession, but things quietened down a bit in the last few minutes of normal time. Into 4 minutes of added time, and things speeded up again as both teams sought a winner with Regan again on form and the match ended with Wright being booked for clashing with a defender. As with Saturday, the Stan could not hold onto their early lead although they did deal well with pressure from Ryton and remain unbeaten after 2 league games.


Name GLS PENS OG Cards
8 Yellow Card Red Card
11 1


Name GLS PENS OG Cards
David Mason Ryan Bailey
Jonathan Wright Richie Hoggins
Yellow Card
Lee Johnson Johnson Connor Campbell