FA Vase 1QR
11 September 2021, 3:00 pm
Newcastle University
1 - 1
Heaton Stannington
Pens: 3 - 4
Kimberley Park
Attendance: 88
Heaton Stannington First Team
Referee: M. McMahon

Match Report

Two well matched sides met at Kimberley Park, Prudhoe, with Heaton Stannington leading at half time by a single goal, but were put under a great deal of pressure by their hosts, conceding an equaliser just past the hour, and dug in to take the cup tie into penalties, coming out victorious by 4 penalties to 3.

Stann started the match well, and opened the scoring on 9 minutes when Connor Campbell got into the area but home keeper Daniel Dekanski charged into him, penalty. Lee McAndrew, no stranger to Vase cup runs, stroked the spot kick precisely low into the corner. 0-1

McAndrew beat a defender and put in a brilliant ball into the area, for Liam McBryde to head across goal but Campbell just failed to connect with a decisive header.

Dan Stephenson put in a good corner with McBryde heading straight into Dekanski’s hands.

The hosts right back Adam Redford had his shot well blocked by Ali Stoddart, yielding a corner, from which captain Stephen Pennington’s diving header went narrowly wide.

On 29 minutes Redford was booked for a foul on Stoddart, from which the free kick from McAndrew won a corner, with McBryde again heading straight to Dekanski.

Leading scorer Tom Romano, with 9 league goals, got in a low shot from a narrow angle which Dan Regan pushed behind for a corner.

Great work by McBryde, bringing Jay Hornsby into the attack down the left flank, put in a low cross for McAndrew to put over the bar from close range. McBryde, set up Ryan Bailey, who shot inches wide of the upright.

On 40 minutes Lacquan Esdaille was booked for a foul.

Regan came quickly out of his area to deal with a long ball over the Stann defence.

A hard fought first half, with a slender lead for Stann but they need a good second half performance to win this tie.

H.T. O-1

Pennington fouled Campbell on the left, the free kick scrambled away.

On 49 minutes Timothy Browne was booked for diving in the Stann area. However the hosts had upped the pressure on the Stann, with Regan making a double save to keep Stann ahead. Stann were only making sporadic attacks.

65 minutes and an equaliser by substitute Niza Chilufya, It had been coming.

Regan then denies Chilufya in a one on one, after a long ball found him. Then another Regan one hand push away to deny Chilufya.

On 77 minutes James Proctor replaced Stephenson and Kevin Carr replaced McAndrew. But it was Regan again to the rescue as he dived at the feet of the dangerous Chilufya, and collected the ball.

On 82 minutes Kye Waters was booked for a foul.

Then a most astonishing let off for Stann as a good low cross into Stann’s area and from close range Chilufya surprisingly was well wide of the post.

Nearly a winner for Stann but full back Jos Veitch cleared the ball into touch when Dekanski fumbled a cross. Carr then cut inside from the right but keeper saved his low shot.

Three minutes of added on time and Proctor got a yellow card for stopping a breakaway by tripping his opponent.

F.T. 1-1 and penalties.

Campbell and McBryde sent keeper wrong way whilst Regan saved Redford ‘s effort 1-2, Pennington 2 each when his shot hit the stanchion and came out making a few of ask was that in. 2-2. Regan took the next penalty and he beat the keeper but not the crossbar, all square. Romano’s penalty was tipped over the bar by Regan whilst Proctor put his effort into the corner, 2-3. Chilufya made it 3 each and captain Ryan Bailey hit a perfect shot into the top corner of the net and Stann were through 3-4.

Brian Pratt


Name GLS PENS OG Cards
6 Yellow Card
7 1 1
8 Yellow Card


Name GLS PENS OG Cards
Kevin Carr Lee McAndrew
James Proctor Dan Stephenson
Yellow Card