24 July 2021, 3:00 pm
Heaton Stannington
0 - 2
Grounsell Park
Attendance: 182
Heaton Stannington First Team
Referee: Peter Osgood

Match Report

Heaton Stannington 0-2 Ashington

Friendly- Daft As A Brush Charity Fundraiser

Saturday 24 July 2021

There was a great atmosphere as the last pre-season Stan friendly saw 1st division Ashington visit. The afternoon was also to recognise the service of former Stan secretary Ken Rodger who asked for this to be done by using the event as a fund raiser for local charity Daft as a Brush cancer patient care. They had supported Ken by providing him with transport to hospital throughout his recent illness. There were 6 changes from Tuesday’s starting line up and Tom Flynn remained in goals for Dan Regan who went off injured after the 1st half of that match.

Ashington had much of the early ball and were 1-0 up after 6 minutes when Briggs beat Flynn from 20 yards. Flynn had to save again 2 minutes later followed by McHugh at the otehr end stopping a shot. An Ashington effort was headed out for a corner in 12 minutes. Soon after Harper was unlucky as McHugh fumbled his effort, but the ball was eventually blocked. Both sides were trying to attack & in 16 minutes McAndrews supplied Harper, but he was forced of the ball. From the resulting corner. Hall was unlucky not to make contact with the incoming ball. As the visitors put the pressure on, there was a good Stan clearance in 27 minutes from a free kick followed by a great double save by Flynn. He then got down to smother a 3rd effort. Ashington were having most of the ball but the Stan were trying hard. The Stan had an attack in 35 minutes then the visitors countered but were offside. Although the Stan defence were working well it was 0-2 in 38 minutes from a corner. The ball wasn’t cleared from a crowded box & Briggs blasted the ball through the crowd & Flynn’s legs. Both teams had a couple of more attacks, but the visitors deserved their led at half time.

In 48 minutes, Flynn put the ball out for an Ashington corner which was easily cleared. The Stan countered but Proctor was blocked. Flynn then had to save. Although the Stan were working hard, there was a quieter period until 56 minutes when Flynn had to get down twice to save. In 60 minutes, trialist 17 replaced Harper & almost immediately started to make a difference. In 63 minutes, a Stan free kick was cleared but the ball went back into the visitor’s box & was headed just wide by Blackbourne. In 65 minutes an Ashington attack was deflected just wide for a corner. Hall headed clear allowing a Stan counter which led to trialist 17 advancing into the Ashington box but his shot under pressure was saved by McHugh. Soon after he got into the box again, but his shot was blocked. Both sides were trying to attack but it was Ashington who came close in 73 minutes when Robinson shot just wide across the Stan goal. The Stan were now under increasing pressure & in 77 minutes there was a great save by Flynn followed by trialist 2 having to head clear. Soon after there was a sustained attack by Ashington but good defending by the Stan including from Proctor. The last few minutes saw action in both halves including trialist 17 shooting just wide when supplied by Bailey. In 89 minutes Ashington shot over the bar but then had to head clear the last Stan attack.

The Stan had a better 2nd half, but it was not enough to stop the visitors wining. Thanks to everyone who contributed generously to Daft as a Brush including the 2 teams and Whitley Bay.

Stan: Flynn; Trialist; Hall; Blackbourne; Dobson (Trialist 80); Esdaille; Proctor; Bailey; Harper (Trialist 60); Mason (Poole 67); McAndrews (Trialist 67). Sub Unused: Campbell

Attendance 182

Kevin Mochrie