19 March 2022, 3:00 pm
Heaton Stannington
2 - 0
Billingham Synthonia
Grounsell Park
Attendance: 392
Heaton Stannington First Team
Referee: Dave Carr

Match Report

The Stan bounced back in positive style from last week’s defeat at Redcar with an important win over 7th placed Synners. Nearly 400 fans witnessed a good performance and a competitive match. There were 4 changes from last Saturday with McAndrew, Hornsby, Proctor and Luke replaced by Stoddart, Carr and Bailey. There was also a first appearance for new start, and 3 times vase winner at Whitley Bay, Lee Kerr. His experience and skill shown through as he looked comfortable in the middle of the park spraying the ball to his team mates when required. It was also a historic day for keeper Dan Regan who made his 100th start for the Stan.

The sun was shining as both teams started positively looking for a goal. It was the visitors who had the 1st clear opportunity in 4 minutes when, from a corner, there was a goalmouth scramble, but Regan got down to grab the ball. The Stan had started lively & in 10 minutes they got their 1st corner which was cleared & the ball went back to Stephenson on the edge of the box who sent it in to McBryde at the far corner but his effort was blocked by the home keeper McGarth. 3 minutes later & Regan easily saved from a free kick. In 16 minutes a joined-up move resulted in Carr having a great opportunity to score but he shot wide & 5 minutes later his long range effort was stopped by McGarth. Both teams continued to try to attack but the next clear opportunity did not come until 29 minutes when Hopper sent a ball into the box for McBryde who was blocked but the ball then went to Holmes who shot well over. After a Synners corner that led to nothing, the Stan attacked through Holmes who passed to Carr who shot wide. The Stan were in the lead in 34 minutes when an attack was blocked but the ball went back to Kerr on the edge of the box & his deflected shot went into the net. What a way to start his Stan career! The Stan continued to look positive & tried to put pressure on the visitors although they were also still up for it & Regan was tested twice in 40 minutes. In the last minute of the half, McGarth was injured when he collided with one of his own players. After 6 minutes of injury time the half finished with the Stan ahead by a goal.

The 2nd half started with both teams knowing that they needed at least a goal & although the stan started with more of the ball there was a quieter opening 10 minutes. In 56 minutes, Kerr, who was still at the beginning of most of the Stan moves forward, sent a free kick into the box which was blocked & Hopper then shot wide. Both Hopper & Kerr were working hard although a visitor’s attack saw the ball go to the far post & was then volleyed from close range over the Stan bar. 2 minutes later & the Synners headed over the bar. Hopper then twisted, turned & advanced on the left but his shot across goal went wide. Both teams were trying to attack but with the Stan getting more of the ball. In 69 minutes, the advancing Holmes was brought down in the box. The resulting penalty in 70 minutes was confidently put away by Hopper to give the Stan a comfortable 2-0 lead. This seemed to improve the Stan’s confidence overall & almost immediately McBryde passed to Hopper on the bye line who shot from a tight angle, but his effort was deflected for a corner. From the corner, Holmes volleyed just over. A sustained Synners attack in 81 minutes saw Esdaille clear in front of goal before Regan caught the ball in a crowded box. In 84 minutes, Hopper was pushed in the box after being supplied by Holmes but nothing was given. Sub Burn then made a great tackle to stop a Synners advance. In 88 minutes he supplied the ball to Proctor who passed to McBryde in the 6 yard box but he was blocked for a corner. From the corner, Proctor was brought down in the box but nothing was given. In stoppage time the match was stopped when Synners sub Decklin Moss was injured during an attempted tackle. A potential head injury meant that there was a wait for an ambulance and as a result, the referee blew the final whistle.

The good news is that after going to hospital, it was reported that Decklin had no fractures and was going to be fine. Everyone at Grounsell Park is thinking of him & we wish him a quick & full recovery.

Kevin Mochrie

Photo Gallery

Credit: Joe Street

Post Match Interviews


Video Highlights


Name GLS PENS OG Cards
Lee Kerr
11 1 1


Name GLS PENS OG Cards
James Proctor Leighton Hopper
David Luke Ryan Bailey
Andrew Burn Kevin Carr