12 March 2022, 3:00 pm
Redcar Town
3 - 0
Heaton Stannington
Mo Mowlem Memorial Park
Attendance: 164
Heaton Stannington First Team
Referee: H. Websdale

Match Report

The Stan went to the seaside but on their 1st trip to the Mo Mowlam Memorial Park in Redcar, they were up against a team who, over the 90 minutes, were more determined and were more effective in front of goal especially on the break.

It was a very sunny but windy and increasingly cold afternoon as the Stan started their 1st match for 10 days in front of a good turnout of the Stan Army, most of whom had travelled on the team coach which was sponsored by Manchester Stan.

The match started with Redcar attacking although both teams were trying to attack and both were defending well when required. As a result, neither keeper was particularly threatened and attacks at either end were coming to nothing or the ball was going straight to the keepers. The 1st 10 minutes though saw Hopper working well down the left wing. In 12 minutes, Proctor and McAndrew combined well although the eventual resulting corner was caught by Algie in the home goal. Both teams were still trying to attack although for Redcar this was mainly on the counter & one of their more dangerous looking attacks was cleared in 14 minutes. There was then a few minutes of Stan pressure but without them really threatening. In 19 minutes the ball was sent to the advancing Proctor but Algie just got out to clear in time. In 21 minutes, Luke was elbowed in the face but the referee missed it & did not consult the linesman. There was a good chance for the Stan in 23 minutes when a long ball to McBryde in the box saw his shot blocked by a defender for a corner. Esdaille headed form the corner but Algie caught the ball. Redcar then countered but the Stan defence dealt with it. 3 minutes later and a home long range effort saw Regan down to save. The ball was then sent up the other end to Proctor who hesitated in the box & the ball was put out for a corner from which the ball hit the far post & went out.

The most exciting moment of the match so far was when Esdaille cleared the ball out of the pitch & nearly hit a passing car. A joined up attack by McBryde, Holmes & finally Proctor was blocked by Algie. In 32 minutes, the home side came close to scoring when another of their many counter attacks saw them hit the post with a rebound shot being cleared off the line by McAndrew. The Stan then countered themselves through Hopper but Algie blocked his shot. Regan then pulled off a great save after Redcar were given too much room during a joined up attack. The Stan started battling again & a sustained attack in 37 minutes was eventually halted after a great ball into the box by Hornsby. In 42 minutes there was a great run down the wing by Hopper, who was now on the right but his cross into the box was cleared. He was then brought down just outside the box but Stephenson’s free kick went well over. In the last minute of the half, a Redcar counter saw the ball come towards Holmes on the edge of the box but he couldn’t hold it allowing the home player to advance & cross to Williams for him to slot the ball past Regan.

Ending the 1st half unexpectedly behind did result in the Stan starting the 2nd half on the attack. Both teams continued to try to attack but the Stan’s attempts appeared lacklustre at times. Hopper had a shot blocked in 50 minute which was followed by a home counter attack. Esdaille blocked the ball but it fell to Williams who shot past Regan for 2-0. In 56 minutes, a long ball by Stephenson saw Algie handle just outside the box but nothing was given. Burn & Howard came on to freshen things up but to no avail. Regan & Hall combined to halt another home counter attack in 60 minutes. The Stan were losing balls in the middle of the field & could not break through the home defence. In 67 minutes, Burn lost the ball near the half way line & a long ball to Elcoate saw him with only Regan to beat & he did, to make it 3-0. A bad tackle on Stephenson saw him having to be replaced by Stoddart. The Stan were 2nd best although a great save by Regan in 80 minutes stopped things getting worse & he had to do so again 3 minutes later. After 2 further minutes he made another great save after Hall had been beaten. The match staggered to an end with the Stan not really threatening.

Kevin Mochrie

Photo Gallery

Credit: Joe Street


Name GLS PENS OG Cards


Name GLS PENS OG Cards
Andrew Burn Jay Hornsby
Alistair Stoddart Dan Stephenson
Evan Howard James Proctor