22 January 2022, 3:00 pm
Heaton Stannington
0 - 1
Ryton & Crawcrook Albion
Grounsell Park
Attendance: 410
Heaton Stannington First Team
Referee: Scott Henry

Match Report

There were 5 changes from last Saturday’s draw at Sunderland West End with Stoddart, Hornsby, Hopper, Bailey and Walton replacing McAndrew, Burn, Chanayire, Carr and Sharpe. New signing Sam Walton made his debut having also played for the Stan in 2014-15.

On a sunny but cold afternoon, there was a slow start for the Stan. In fact, for most of the 1st half they failed to get going, as Ryton appeared the stronger team. After 5 minutes, Regan dropped the ball but Esdaille cleared it off the goal line. 2 minutes later & Ryton attacked from the left & the ball was put past the advancing Regan but it went just wide. The Stan’s only real chance of the 1st half came in 10 minutes from a throw in when Holmes shot just wide. It was a scrappy start to the game with the Stan, especially Regan, having the disadvantage of a low sun in their eyes. The Stan defence had more to deal with & Hornsby had to clear under pressure in 14 minutes. 5 minutes later & Hall headed a ball clear from a free kick just outside the box. The Stan were under pressure again in 23 minutes when Hornsby initially cleared but after a scrappy melee in the box the whistle was blown for a foul on Hall. More Ryton pressure saw Esdaille clear before the visitors shot wide. When the Stan did advance, especially through the effort of Hopper, it was coming to nothing. The visitor’s pressure paid off in 36 minutes when they sent a long ball to the advancing Lamb who blasted it past Regan to give Ryton the lead. Ryton continued to attack with the Stan still not looking their usual alert selves. Hall had to head clear twice in 42 minutes from 2 corners then Regan caught a ball from a free kick. As it neared half time, there was a more positive move from the Stan as Holmes crossed into the box but Walton couldn’t get on the end of it although eventually they got a corner. It was headed clear before Hornsby’s shot from outside the box was easily blocked.

Having been 2nd best, the Stan put on a better performance in the 2nd half. After 3 minutes they had 2 corners with Bailey heading across the goal from the 2nd. Ryton were still a threat though & Regan had to catch an effort on 51 minutes. Overall though it was the Stan who were now doing most of the attacking although without really threatening, Although the Ryton keeper had to punch clear in 54 minutes, the situation was illustrated 5 minutes later when a good ball by Hopper saw no one at the end of it. The Stan had good opportunities to score after 62 minutes when a Stephenson free kick was deflected off the wall for a corner. From the corner, Ryton were put under pressure including from a Stephenson effort being punched clear by Ball & the visiting defence had to make 3 more blocks in the box including a goal line clearance. Both teams continued to try to attack but Ryton’s only real effort of the half so far came in 73 minutes when they shot over the bar. From a corner, Stephenson had a shot blocked & then a Hopper rebound shot was also blocked. The match continued with regular Stan attacks coming to nothing. In 84 minutes, a speculative long effort from Ryton saw Regan parry it. From the corner, Regan put it out again from which the ball was headed just over the bar. Ryton spent most of the remaining minutes time wasting as the Stan finally got into gear & they pressurised for the remaining 10 minutes which included a surprisingly limited amount of injury time. From a corner, Ryton had to clear off the line & then from a free kick the ball was headed off the line by the Stan’s Hall. In 91 minutes, Hopper & McBryde set up Esdaille whose header was punched clear by Ball to Stephenson whose shot was deflected for a corner. Hopper then shot put a shot just wide. The attacks continued including a Stephenson free kick being parried over by the keeper.

The Stan’s late rally saw them unlucky not to get at least a point but the poor 1st half performance had cost them dearly. On a more positive note, as well as still being 6 points clear at the top of the league, the big crowd of 410 meant that in 15 home matches this season, 4500 have now watched the Stan with an average of 300 a match. The Stan, along with a coach and possibly a train carriage full of fans, go west next Saturday when they travel to Carlisle City.

Kevin Mochrie


Name GLS PENS OG Cards
2 Yellow Card
7 Yellow Card
8 Yellow Card


Name GLS PENS OG Cards
Andrew Burn Ryan Bailey
James Proctor Sam Walton
Rhys Groves Dean Holmes